Wednesday 19 August 2009

Week 6, Goa

I think my week numbering has gone wrong, so I’ll start over with week 6, which was last week. I went to Goa with Euan, Charlotte and Ian. It started on 8 August when my flat-mate Susan got sick. Then on the 9th, Jenny and I got sick too. They spent the whole week in bed sleeping, and I went to Goa!

I met Euan at the airport in Mumbai on Sunday. We spent the afternoon at Juhu Beach trying to kill time before our overnight bus left at 8pm. I was not feeling well, so I slept all 14 hours to Mapusa. We took a taxi to Anjuna and stayed at Anjuna Villa. I spent most of Monday in bed, until Charlotte and Ian arrived from Delhi in the late afternoon. We walked around a bit to explore where we were staying and I went back to bed.

Tuesday, the three of them went on a day trip to Panjim, the capital of Goa, while I stayed in bed. Panjim has lots of buildings that were built by the Portuguese, and Euan, Charlotte and Ian found it more laid back than the other parts of Goa we went to. Wednesday, there was supposed to be a flea market so I dragged myself out of bed for it, but then it was cancelled because of the monsoon, so we had a drink in a café next to the beach and then I went back to bed. It was kind of weird being in Goa in the monsoon season; it was a bit like a ghost town. A lot of the hotels and restaurants were closed and dismantled and there was almost no one around.


Thursday was our last day in Goa; we got a taxi for the day and stopped in Old Goa on the way to Sahakari Spice Farm where we learned all about different spices and had a really good buffet lunch. They gave us flower necklaces and gave us red dots on our foreheads.


We got to Margao in the evening and went to the cinema to see the new film Kaminey before our overnight train at 1:45am. I again slept all 12 hours back to Mumbai. We were in the 3AC class; here’s a photo of Ian on the middle bunk from my top bunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment