Tuesday 10 November 2009

Week 17, Delhi

After a nice day in Agra and visiting the Taj Mahal, we took an evening train from Agra to Delhi. It was supposed to be 3.5 hours, but ended up being more like 5 because we left late and then got more delayed on the way. Euan was feeling really sick and my mom and I were kept busy watching the small cockroaches crawl around on the floor and into/out of the seat in front us.

Since our hotel reservation in Agra did not work out, I decided to call ahead to the hotel in Delhi to make sure that was all set. It turned out that that reservation didn’t get made properly either, so before we left Agra my mom went on hotels.com and booked us a really fancy hotel with a western price to match. It was nice though, because Euan was able to spend his last day in India in bed in a nice hotel; I think he was very thankful for that.

So my mom and I did all the touristy things in Delhi. First we visited New Delhi: Connaught Place, India Gate, Qutb Minar, Lotus Temple, Hayuman’s Tomb. After Amber Fort and Fatehpur Sikri, the historical sites in Delhi were not that impressive. I think my favorite was the Lotus Temple. It’s the only really nice piece of modern architecture I saw in India. It was built in the 1980s and is one of seven Bahá'í Houses of Worship. Even though it belongs to the Bahá'í Faith, it is open to anyone of any religion for worship. It is really peaceful inside.


On our last day we went to Old Delhi to see the Red Fort. By this point a lot of the Mugal architecture was looking the same with the red stone carvings and the white marble with colorful inlays, but it’s still impressive to see these buildings that are almost 500 years old. They were built around the time of Henry VIII when a lot of Cambridge was being built, and before Bath or anything in the USA.



The funny thing about our time in Delhi is that we didn’t eat any Indian food. My mom was getting a little sick of it by this point, and there wasn’t anything near our hotel so I couldn’t drag her out to a restaurant. We ate mostly at the hotel, but also at McDonalds and the Hard Rock Café.

No comments:

Post a Comment