Friday 4 September 2009

Week 9 German Bakery

After the Ganesh Festival on 3 September, we didn’t have to go in to work until noon the next day. Jenny had to get up at 5am to go to Sangli with our boss Pratima, while Susan and I slept in. We decided to go for a relaxing brunch at the German Bakery, which was the subject of a guest blog post by Chris Taylor a couple weeks ago. To follow this up, I’ll start with a photo of Rama in his maroon Osho robe:

The story continues at brunch yesterday morning. Susan and I ordered food and sat down alone at the bench along the wall. Unfortunately, we sat down right across from creepy guy with the headphones and creepy guy with the trousers, who we found out are called John and Michael. They decided to talk to us and started of by laughing at us a bit, but we didn’t really understand what was going on. Then we found out that creepy guy with the trousers is from Iran and is here studying nuclear physics at Pune University. Sounds harmless enough until he told us that he was going to make nuclear bombs and find out where we live so that he can blow us up. At this point I wanted to run away, but our food had just arrived and we were hungry. Our conversation continued in a slightly more normal fashion; we talked about what we were doing here and what we studied back home. Then the news came out that I just finished my PhD and that I’m only 26, at which point creepy guy with the trousers said I was really smart and asked me to marry him! (He’s 29 and is finishing his Bachelors in a year, so I think he was impressed.) I said no thank you. He continued by saying we could have a lot of fun together, particularly in his bedroom. He plays in a band with the creepy guy with the headphones, and he invited us over to listen to his music in the evening with all the German girls who come over every night. I think we’re gonna pass on that proposition too.

No comments:

Post a Comment